Recipe by Nishma Shah
- 340g extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons tamari/soy sauce
- 3 pineapple rings
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 whole pitted dates (or more depending on desired sweetness)
- ½ red pepper
- ½ yellow pepper
- 2 chillies, medium hot
- Sesame oil (optional for greasing the pan)
- Blend the rice vinegar, tamari, dates and one pineapple ring to a fine paste.
- Cut the remaining pineapple and bell peppers into 1-inch cube-shape pieces.
- Drain the water from the tofu, and cut the tofu into 1-inch cube-shape pieces.
- Slice the chillies in rings.
- Warm up a non-stick pan and keep on low heat.
- When the pan is warm, add the tofu pieces.
- As the tofu pieces cook they will release water – simply allow the water to steam off.
- Toss the tofu pieces so that they do not stick to the pan.
- Let the pieces brown slightly, or cook until they are hot to touch.
- Increase the heat if the tofu pieces are not browning.
- Add the chillies and stir.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Let all the flavours blend. If using canned pineapple add the pineapple juice if the tofu is absorbing all the liquid.
- Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until all the tofu pieces have been coated well.
Can be served with rice or noodles.