Recipe by Rena Shah
- 500g macaroni pasta
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 4 matoke (small green bananas)
- 40-50g nutritional yeast
- 230ml oat milk
- 2 – 3 tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- 100g fresh spinach
- 10g chives
- 10-12 whole peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- Wash and cut cauliflower into florets
- Wash and cut the ends off the matoke. Cut them into thirds and cut a slit into the skin and halfway into the flesh to allow expansion during cooking.
- Steam the cauliflower and matoke for 15 minutes or until soft. Leave aside to cool or run under cold water.
- Cook the macaroni as per the packet instructions.
- Wash and finely chop the spinach.
- Once the vegetables have cooled, peel the matoke skin off and remove any discoloured fibres.
- In a blender or food processor blend the vegetables, vegan butter, oat milk, nutritional yeast, salt and peppercorns. (This sauce can be used in other dishes where you want to replace a bechamel e.g. in lasagne)
- Mix together the macaroni, sauce and spinach while the macaroni and sauce are still warm.
- Serve with chopped chives on top.