Recipe kindly provided by Pratibha Mehta
- 1 400g tin coconut milk (or soya milk, for a healthier version)
- 1 tin water
- 1 tablespoon gram flour (channa no lot / chickpea flour)
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt (to taste)
- Coriander leaves
- Green chillis, finely chopped
- Ginger, finely chopped (optional, leave out if Jain)
- For vaghar:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil,
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Quarter tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 1-2 cloves
- 1 piece of cinnamon
- Curry leaves (optional)
- Mix together coconut milk, gram flour and corn flour.
- Do the vaghar by heating oil in a saucepan and adding other vaghar ingredients.
- Add the coconut milk/flour mixture to the pan and all the other ingredients.
- Keep stirring and bring to the boil.
Note: The soya milk version may require a little more gram flour.
Recipe kindly provided by Ranjanben Chandaria
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup moong dal
- 5 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- Half tsp turmeric
- Cook all the ingredients in a pressure cooker.
- Serve with kadhi
Photo courtesy of http://thespiceycoffee.wordpress.com/