An incredibly easy vegan version of burfi. Takes less than 10 minutes to prepare, and is absolutely delicious. One for all vegan Indians to try ahead of Diwali.
- 1/2 cup of powdered pistachio nuts
- 2/3 cup of agave nectar (or any other syrup like Golden Syrup or Maple Syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoons of cardamom powder
- 1 pack of creamed coconut (250gm)
- Flaked almonds and whole pistachio nuts (for decoration only)
- Melt the creamed coconut by placing it in a bowl on top of a pan of hot water.
- Once melted, immediately add the creamed coconut to all the other ingredients (pistachio, agave nectar, vanilla essence, cardamom powder) and pour into a blender.
- Blend the mixture until smooth
- Pour the mixture into a mould, lined with cling film.
- Leave to cool down for 10minutes, and then place in the fridge for 30minutes. Cut to size.
- Plastic takeaway containers work as good shaped moulds (to make 12 pieces).
- Blend the mixture immediately after the coconut has melted. If you take too long before you start blending, the mixture will begin to solidify, putting your blender under stress.
Switching the pistacchios for cashews and replacing the vanilla extract with rose syrup for a rose flavoured burfi!
Thanks to Anabel Zalvidar for the recipe!